ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"PERM Pointers, Pitfalls And Puzzles"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


Employer wants to sponsor Alien for PERM L/C. However, he uses an outside payroll company to pay the alien who is on H-1B. in most instances. Employer's State Tax Unemployment # is not in status at this time because the outside payroll company uses their own Unemployment Tax Number. So, Employer's Number has been de-activated (not active at this time!) . We all know that to place a job listing on SWA, we need an active/current State Tax Unemployment #. for the sponsoring company. Most companies had such a number. However, once they chose to use the services of an outside payroll company, the sponsoring employer's number became inactive.

What is the protocol to obtain a current/active Employer State Unemployment Number to enable us practitioner's to advise the sponsoring employer to reactivate the State Tax Unemployment Number?

Answer by Catherine Haight:

I do not know how to get a State Tax number if you donít have any payroll.

Answer by Elizabeth Reichard:

I had this problem once before in a state where I do not typically practice. I actually called the SWA and they gave me the appropriate contact number to call and apply for the the State Unemployment Number. You might want to try that. It might work. The SWA Representative I talked was aware that this is sometimes a problem.