ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage


Immigration Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"PERM Pointers, Pitfalls And Puzzles"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


When filing an I-140 with an approved PERM Labor cert. Which one of the following will be acceptable?
1. U.S. Credentials Evaluation that states, Equivalent to a U.S. Bach degree (containing some college credits with additional work experience, so it's a combination of both to come up with the equivalency)?
OR?,br> 2. U.S. Credentials Evaluation with "stand alone", credits from various colleges or universities, Equivalent to a U.S. Bach degree? (No work this evaluation).
3. Will INS accept both , If not which one is acceptable?

Answer by Catherine Haight:

It depends on what is required on the 9089. If a Bachelors degree is required, then you need the stand alone equiv without work exp UNLESS the 9089 stated that a Bachelors OR EQUIVALENT is required and the equivalent is defined in a manner that includes work experience.

Answer by Elizabeth Reichard:

I agreee with Catherine on this one. It depends what is listed on the 9089. It is always best to have a stand alone evaluation though, so as to avoid confusion. Please note that if you state "Equivalent," you shoud define it. If experience enables the person to have a BA equivalent, that needs to be explicitly stated on the application.