ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


RSS feed

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily


Chinese Immig. Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"Current Issues In Immigration For Nurses And Other Healthcare Professionals (PTs/OTs/MTs/MLTs/SLPs-As/Physician Assistants)"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


Regarding TNs for medical/allied professionals, the regulations do not appear to require a US state license in order to practice in that US state. For example, the regs for a Registered Nurse require a "state/provincial license or Licenciatura degree." Does this mean that an RN can practice nursing in the US state with a Canadian license but without a US state license or the NCLEX? In other nonimmigrant categories (such as H-1B) the nurse cannot practice in the US without either the license or the "all-but social security number" letter. By the way, I am aware of the new VisaScreen requirements for nonimmigrants, including TNs.

Answer by Donna Richardson:

There are a very few states that will license a Canadian nurse by endorsement of her Canadian license. One will provide the nurse with a limited permit if she works in long term care. However most require that the Canadian nurse pass the NCLEX.

Immigration Daily: the news source for
legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers
Enter your email address here: