Listserv Q&A for
"Advanced Issues In Adjustment Of Status"
For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.
- Any EWI can adjust by marrying USC? How?
- Is it better for asylee who has filed I-485 and is waiting in line to
file separate AOS packet upon marrying USC? How to explain to BCIS where
two I485 are concurrently pending?
- Long time alien (after failure to prosecute prior I-130/I-485 b/c
divorce from former spouse) now is married to another USC. He was
inspected as B2 over 10 years ago. Should I still file I-130/I-485 packet
for him? He wants to travel from California to New York to see inlaws. Any
problems w/ traveling domestically? He is not in removal proceeding. Will
filing such an AOS packet alert the Court to put him in proceeding so that
he can apply for cancellation of removal?
Thank you for your responses.
Answer by Ronald Klasko:
- An EWI alien can only apply for adjustment of status as an immediate
relative if he qualifies under section 245(i). Otherwise, the lack of
inspected and admitted precludes adjustment of status.
- It is often better and quicker for asylee who has filed an I-485 to
a separate adjustment application based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen.
- The alien described as eligible to file I-130/I-485. This assumes the
previous marriage was bona fide. There is no problems with domestic
The filing of the adjustment would not normally result in the initiation of
Share this page
Bookmark this page
The leading immigration law publisher - over 50000 pages of free information!
© Copyright 1995- American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM