ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"Representing Doctors, Nurses And Other Health
Professionals - New Issues For New Times"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


Can a registered nurse come to US on an L1 or F1 visa?

Answer by William Stock:

A registered nurse may enter the United States in any nonimmigrant status for which he or she qualifies. Thus, if a nurse is entering the United States to pursue full-time studies toward a college degree (perhaps a BSN or Master's in Nursing), he or she would be eligible for F-1 status, but would have to comply with all the requirements of F-1 status (including demonstrating adequate financial support and nonimmigrant intent, and restricting any employment to on-campus for 20 hours per week or less).

It is difficult to imagine how a nurse would qualify as an L-1, as he or she would both need to be employed abroad for a full year for the same organization which would employ him or her in the United States, and be in either a managerial or "specialized knowledge" position. If the nurse was coming to the U.S. to be a nurse, it would be hard to argue that he or she possessed some specialized knowledge of the company's policies or products that justified his or her need to be employed in the United States.