ILW.COM - the immigration portal Seminars

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

Listserv Q&A for
"Representing Doctors, Nurses And Other Health
Professionals - New Issues For New Times"

For more info, or to signup online, click here.
For more info, or to signup by fax, click here.


I attended this seminar. I have a question for clarification regarding the visa screen certificate.

I thought I heard someone say that to satisfy one of the requirements for the visa screen certificate, the nurse has to take CGFNS and be licensed in the state where they will practice OR take NCLEGS (not sure of spelling).

Could you confirm/clarify this for me?

Answer by William Stock:

To clarify: approval of an immigrant visa petition (Form I-140) based on a Special Handling Labor Certification for a registered nurse requires that the nurse have either a CGFNS certificate (which shows that the nurse has passed a test of English and a test of nursing knowledge, and that his or her nursing education has been evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. nursing education) OR an unrestricted state license (which requires passing the NCLEX, which is the national nurse licensing examination).

Approval of an immigrant visa application (OF-230), or an application for adjustment of status (I-485), requires either a nurse, or any other designated health care professional, to have a "Visa Screen" certificate. The Visa Screen requires the CGFNS certificate or the NCLEX. It does require another evaluation of the nurses' credentials and license, as well as a test of English (unless the nurse was educated in a country such as Australia or Canada, in English).