ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily

Federal Change of Address Procedures

Changing an address with the various Federal immigration components can be confusing, and failure to properly make an address change can lead to denials and other adverse immigration consequences. The Ombudsman's Office encourages immigration benefits applicants and petitioners to promptly notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and/or the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) of any change in address. Mail forwarding is not always rapid or reliable.

USCIS, DOS, EOIR and DOL have separate procedures, filing locations, and timeframes for submitting an address change. A change of address should be reported for each application type, petition, case, and family member with each government agency from which an immigration benefit is being sought. Applicants should use the most permanent address available.

In 2011, the Ombudsman's Office posted an update that provides filing tips on the USCIS change of address process. The Ombudsman's Office recommends keeping copies of all correspondence sent to USCIS, using certified, registered, or return receipt mail to ensure documentation of the mailing.

USCISDepartment of StateEOIREOIR Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
Who Should Report a Change of Address?
All applicants, petitioners, and beneficiaries are required by law to report a change of address to USCIS.All petitioners and applicants for consular processing are encouraged to report address changes with DOS to either the National Visa Center (NVC) or the appropriate consulate.Persons with cases pending before an immigration court or the BIA must report a change to EOIR.
Time to Report
Within 10 days of the address change.Immediately to avoid delays.Within 5 working days of the change.
How to Report a Change of Address
Online: USCIS Online Change of Address

By mail: Form AR-11, Change of Address Card (PDF, 1 page - 526 KB)*

*Applicants who mail in Form AR-11 must also report the change of address to the National Customer Service Center by calling 1-800-375-5283
By Email:
By Mail: see address below)
By Phone: (603) 334-0700
Email your local consulate:
U.S. Consulate Listing
By mail: Form EOIR-33/IC*

*Government Counsel must receive copies of the change of address to satisfy proof of notice requirements. Government Counsel information can be found in the court file or by contacting the court clerk where the case is pending
By mail: Form EOIR-33/BIA (PDF, 2 pages - 26.42 KB)*

*Also file a change of address with the corresponding immigration court because BIA cases are sometimes remanded to court
Mailing Addresses
Attn: Change of Address
1344 Pleasants Dr.
Harrisonburg, VA 22801*

*Please note the change in filing location for Change of Address Forms from London, KY to Harrisonburg, VA, as of April 1, 2011. USCIS is no longer forwarding Change of Address forms to the new location
Department of State
National Visa Center
Attn: CMR
31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH 03801-2914

U.S. Consulate Listing
Immigration Court Listing*

*File with the court location where your case is currently pending
Board of Immigration Appeals
Office of the Clerk P.O. Box 8530
Falls Church, VA 22041

Hand delivery, courier, same day delivery, overnight, or express delivery (including U.S. Postal Service express mail) should be sent to:

Board of Immigration Appeals
Office of the Chief Clerk
5107 Leesburg Pike, Suite 2000
Falls Church, VA 22041

This page was last reviewed / modified on July 28, 2011.