ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage


Immigration Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily

Notice to Temporary Protected Status (TPS) Re-registrants from El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua

If you are from El Salvador, Honduras or Nicaragua and have successfully re-registered for TPS, you should be aware that new Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) may not be issued until early November 2010.

While awaiting your new EAD, you may provide your existing EAD as proof of employment authorization.  You may also provide your employer with a copy of your country’s most recent Federal Register notice announcing the TPS 18-month extension and the 6-month auto-extension of EADs.

You are affected if you have received an automatic extension of your recently expired EAD (issued under category “A-12” or “C-19”) through the Federal Register notices published on May 5, 2010, for Honduras and Nicaragua, and July 9, 2010, for El Salvador. Your automatic extension is valid for 6 months from the expiration date on the face of your card and you are authorized to work during this period.

You can print the Federal Register notices by clicking on the following links:

You can view a sample EAD and learn more about which documents employers may accept as evidence of your employment authorization on this fact sheet.

If you have questions and would like to speak with a USCIS representative, please call:

  • USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283
  • USCIS TPS Hotline at 1-202-272-1533 (not a toll free number)

The Department of Justice’s Office of Special Counsel for Immigration Related Unfair Employment Practices (OSC) can assist:

  • Employees - Work authorization and automatic extension questions from employees can be directed to the employee hotline at 1-800-255-7688.
  • Employers - Work authorization and automatic extension questions from employers can be directed to the employer hotline at 1-800-255-8155.

Last updated:10/07/2010