ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily

Deferred Enforced Departure Extended for Liberians
Questions and Answers


On March 19, 2010 U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) automatically extended employment authorization for Liberian nationals covered under Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) through Sept. 30, 2010—following President Obama’s announcement today of his decision to extend DED through September 30, 2011, for qualified Liberians and those persons without nationality who last habitually resided in Liberia. .  The sixth-month automatic extension of existing Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) will permit eligible Liberians to continue working while they file their applications for new EADs that will cover the full twelve months of the DED extension and for USCIS to complete processing and issuance of those new EADs.


Although DED was scheduled to end for Liberian nationals on March 31, 2010, President Obama determined that there are compelling foreign policy reasons to continue deferring enforced departure from the United States for eligible Liberian nationals presently living in the United States under the existing grant of DED for 18 additional months. USCIS will publish a notice in the Federal Register with instructions for these individuals on how to obtain employment authorization for the remainder of the DED extension.

This automatic extension of employment authorization will allow sufficient time for eligible DED beneficiaries to receive new Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) without any lapse in employment authorization.

Questions and Answers

Q. How do I know if I am covered by the extension of DED? 
A. With certain exceptions, you are eligible for an extension of DED if you are present in the United States and are covered under DED as the date of Federal Register publication. Generally, if you held Temporary Protected Status (TPS) as of Sept. 30, 2007, then you are covered by Liberian DED and the 18-month extension applies to you. There are exceptions for such Liberians who would not be covered for TPS now due to being criminals or mandatorily barred by other TPS provisions and Liberians who are excluded under President Obama’s decision to extend TPS.  

Q. How do I determine if I am not covered by DED?
A. You are not eligible for DED under the President’s determination if: (1) you are ineligible for TPS for the reasons provided in section 244(c)(2)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act; (2) your removal is determined to be in the interest of the United States; (3) the Secretary of State has reasonable grounds to believe your presence or activities in the United States would have potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States; (4) you have voluntarily returned to Liberia or your last habitual residence outside the United States; (5) you were deported, excluded, or removed prior to the date of this memorandum; or (6) you are subject to extradition.

Q. If I am covered by DED, how long will this extension allow me to remain in the United States?
A. Under this extension, you will continue to be covered by DED for 18 months through Sept. 30, 2011.

Q. Do I need to apply or register to receive an extension of DED?
A. No, DED is automatic. However, if you would like to receive work authorization, you must file an Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765 (see below).

Q. Where do I submit Form I-765?
A. Please submit Form I-765 and supporting documentation to:

Attn: DED
P.O. Box 8677
Chicago, IL 60680-8677

Q. What do I need to submit with Form I-765? 
A. On Form I-765, you must indicate that you are eligible for DED. As the previous presidential order of DED only covered Liberians who were TPS beneficiaries as of Sept. 30, 2007, you must include a copy of your last Form I-797, Notice of Action, showing you were approved for TPS as of Sept. 30, 2007.

Q. What editions of Form I-765 should I submit? 
A. USCIS will only accept versions of Form I-765 dated May 27, 2008 (Rev. 5/27/08), or later. The revision date is in the bottom right corner of the form. The forms are available on the Web at or by calling the USCIS forms hotline at 1-800-870-3676.

Q. Can I file my application (Form I-765) electronically? 
A. No, electronic filing is not available for Form I-765 based on DED.

Q. How will I know if I have to report to a USIS Application Support Center (ASC) to submit biometrics?
A. USCIS will mail you a notice with instructions detailing whether you are required to appear at a USCIS ASC for biometrics collection.

Q. What documents should I bring to my ASC appointment? 
A. When you report to an ASC, you must bring the following documents

  1. An identity document with photograph
  2. Your receipt notice for your application
  3. Your ASC appointment notice; and
  4. Your current EAD if you have been issued one.

Q. What will happen if I do not appear at the ASC? 
A. Failure to appear at an ASC for a required appointment will result in denial of your case due to abandonment unless you submit, and USCIS has received, an address change notification (see instruction below) or a rescheduling request before your appointment—and USCIS excuses your failure to appear.

Q. What if my address changes after I file my EAD application? 
A. If your address changes after you file your application, you must complete and submit Form AR-11 by mail or electronically. The mailing address is:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

Form AR-11 can also be filed electronically by following the directions on the USCIS Web site at:
You may also call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833) to request an update to your address on your EAD application. Please note that even if you call the USCIS National Customer Service Center, you must still file a Form AR-11.

Q. How can I tell whether my EAD has been automatically extended for six months from April 1, 2010, through Sept. 30, 2010?
A. Your EAD has been automatically extended if it has “A-11” on the face of the card under “Category,” and has an expiration date of March 31, 2010.

Q. What documents may I show to my employer as proof of employment authorization and identity when completing Form I-9? 
A. Throughout the duration of the six-month automatic employment authorization extension, you may present your prior TPS- or DED-based EAD to your employers, as described above, as proof of identity and employment authorization through Sept. 30, 2010. To minimize confusion over this extension at the time of hire or re-verification, you may also present a copy of the Federal Register Notice regarding the automatic extension of employment authorization documentation through Sept. 30, 2010.

In the alternative, you may present any legally acceptable document or combination of documents listed in List A, List B, or List C of the Form I-9.

Q. Can I leave the United States and legally re-enter before Sept. 30, 2011?
A. Yes, if you seek and are granted advance parole before departing the United States. You must file a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with appropriate fee, to request advance parole. You must provide a copy of your last TPS- or DED-based EAD, or, if you do not have a TPS- or DED-based EAD, submit a copy of your last Form I-797, Notice of Action, stating that you had received a grant of TPS as of Sept. 30, 2007. If you leave the United States without first requesting and obtaining advance parole, you are no longer eligible for DED. You may not be permitted to re-enter the United States. The determination whether to grant advance parole is within the discretion of DHS and is not guaranteed in any case. If you seek advance parole in order to go to Liberia, you may risk being found ineligible to reenter the United States under DED because the President’ memorandum excludes persons “who have voluntarily returned to Liberia.”

Last updated:03/19/2010