ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly

Update: USCIS Announces Parole Procedures for Travel within the USA

People with CNMI permits should no longer use Visa Waiver or B Visa

SAIPAN, CNMI - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds aliens living and/or working or studying in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) under CNMI permits to request parole before seeking to travel to Guam and other parts of the United States. People who entered before November 28, 2009 are present without admission or parole.  Although they are entitled to lawfully remain and work in the CNMI to the extent they were authorized to do so under former CNMI law as of Nov. 28, 2009 for up to two years after that date, they will need a grant of parole in order to continue to live, work and/or study in the CNMI during this period after travel to another U.S. destination.

Parole is permission to be in the United States and allows people living and working in the CNMI with a valid CNMI permit to continue to do so when they return from Guam or other parts of the United States. There is no fee for this request.  Anyone living in the CNMI who is submitting a request for parole should do the following:


The request for Parole should include:

  • Letter requesting parole, with details of why you need this benefit and the reason for traveling
  • Completed Form G-325 Biographic Information (see the "Forms" tab above)   
  • 3 passport-style photos (2” x 2” front view) 
  • Copy of UNEXPIRED entry permit / umbrella permit
  • Copy of photo page of your passport 
  • Original passport 
  • Any relevant documentation including ticket, E-ticket, itinerary, medical letter, letter from employer, copy of existing B Visa, etc.


  • Make an InfoPass appointment (see link on the left side of our homepage)
  • Bring the above items, including your valid passport to the USCIS Application Support Center at TSL Plaza in Saipan.

The officer will review your application and decide whether to grant parole.  If you are granted parole, the appropriate form will be inserted into your passport before you leave your interview.

Travel to Guam and other parts of the United States without parole may have severe consequences for people with CNMI permits; they may be unable to return to living and working in the CNMI after their travel. 

If you intend to continue to live, work or study in the CNMI, you can no longer use the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or a B visa (tourist or business) for domestic travel.  “B” nonimmigrant status is intended solely for individuals residing outside the United States who are making a short visit only to the United States for business or pleasure, and not for the purpose of employment or study.  As the CNMI is now within the United States for purposes of U.S. immigration law, B status is inappropriate for anyone residing, working or studying in the CNMI as it severely limits the authorized length of stay and permitted activities.  You must obtain parole from USCIS to maintain the validity of your CNMI permit after travel within the United States. If you are admitted under a B visa or the VWP, you will be in the United States – including the CNMI – as a tourist (or for short-term business, if on a B1 Visa) and this will invalidate your CNMI permit.

USCIS urges everyone with CNMI permits to view this website, call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283, or consult with an immigration attorney or an immigration assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals, before making any travel plans.

Last updated:12/16/2009