ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly

Documents You Will Need to Enter the United States

All persons including citizens of the United States traveling by air between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda will have to present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (presented by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business) or NEXUS Card, NEXUS enrollment is limited to citizens of the United States and Canada, and lawful permanent residents of the United States and Canada. Children will be required to present their own passport.

Beginning June 1, 2009, ages 16 and older will be required to present documents from one of the options below when entering the United States at land or sea ports of entry. Children under may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. One of the following documents may be presented to prove both identity and citizenship:

  • U.S. Passport;
  • U.S. Passport Card;*
  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST);*
  • State issued Enhanced Driverís License (when available this secure driverís license will denote identity and citizenship);*
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available);*
  • U.S. Military identification with Military Travel Orders;
  • U.S. Merchant Marine document;
  • Form I-872 American Indian Card.

* Frequent Land Border Crossers: To expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above asterisked documents.