ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly

News Release Template Image

Rev. 11/07/02

Effective June 20, 2000, Most Green Card Renewal Applicants to Apply at Local INS Application Support Centers

Since 1989, the Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS) has been issuing Green Cards (Form I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card) that expire every 10 years. Lawful permanent residents who were issued a Green Card with an expiration date approximately 10 years ago will need to renew it.

To maximize customer service, effective June 20, 2000, Green Card renewal applicants will have the convenience of one-stop, walk-in service at their local INS Application Support Centers (ASCs). There are more than 120 ASCs throughout the country—about 50 located within an existing INS District or Sub-Office and the remaining located in separate facilities to enhance accessibility to customers. There are a few exceptions to the new ASC application procedures (see “Exceptions” below).

NOTE: These new procedures apply only to renewal applicants with expiring/expired 10-year Green Cards. All other applicants filing for a new Green Card must apply at their local INS District or Sub-Office—not at an ASC.


To renew their Green Card, applicants should call the INS National Customer Service Center toll-free telephone line 1-800-375-5283 to obtain a Form I-90, “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card” and information on how and where to apply. (The application form is also available on the INS Web site at or by calling INS’ toll-free forms request line 1-800-870-3676.)

Effective June 20, 2000, renewal applicants will be instructed to apply in person at a local ASC (see “Exceptions” below). They must bring with them:

  • A completed Form I-90 and a check or money order for the $130 application fee;

  • Their expiring/expired Green Card;

  • Photocopies of both the front and back of the card;

  • Two color photographs, as specified on the Form I-90 instructions;

  • Personal identification (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued identification card or passport).

  • Renewal applicants whose name has legally changed must bring documentation of the change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order).

  • Renewal applicants who received their Green Card before their 14th birthday and are now over 14, must be fingerprinted. They must bring a check or money order for the additional $50 fingerprinting fee.


In New York, N.Y., renewal applicants will need to call 1-800-375-5283 in advance to be scheduled for an appointment.

In Los Angeles, renewal applications will now be accepted at all ASCs: Wilshire, Buena Park, Fairfax, Bellflower, South El Monte, Santa Ana, Riverside, Gardena, Van Nuys, Pomona, Oxnard and Goleta. (Update)

The following ASCs will not be accepting renewal applications, but have designated different locations for submitting renewal applications. Applicants need to call 1-800-375-5283 for specific information:

  • Laredo, Tex. – Applications will be accepted at the San Antonio ASC.
  • Columbus, Ohio – Applications will be accepted at either the Cleveland or Cincinnati ASCs.
  • Jackson, Miss. – Applications will be accepted at either the New Orleans, Memphis, Tenn. or Birmingham, Ala. ASCs.
  • Nashville, Tenn. – Applications will be accepted at either the Memphis, Louisville, Ky.; or Atlanta, Ga. ASCs.
  • Salisbury, Md. – Will now accept renewal applications. (Update)

Also, in Houlton, Me. and Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. applications will be accepted at the port of entry.

How Soon Should Expiring Cards be Renewed?

Green Card holders can apply up to six months prior to the expiration date of the card (indicated on the front of the card). However, there is no need for applicants to rush to apply for a new card too far in advance since they will be issued temporary proof of their status when they apply in person for their new Green Card. INS will attach a sticker to the applicants’ expiring/expired Green Card to extend the validity of the card, and return it to them to use as temporary proof of status.

Why Is It Important to Renew an Expiring/Expired Card?

Lawful permanent residents with an expiring/expired Green Card will not lose their legal status in the United States—their lawful permanent resident status will not expire or change. However, they will need to renew their expiring Green Card in order to maintain acceptable evidence of their permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits, and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.

- INS -