ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly

INS News Release

June 21, 2002

INS Reminds Eligible Hondurans and Nicaraguans to Re-register for
Temporary Protected Status (TPS) by July 2, 2002

WASHINGTON The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) today reminded those eligible Hondurans and Nicaraguans to re-register immediately for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to maintain TPS and employment authorization for the 12-month period beginning on July 5, 2002 and ending on July 5, 2003.

Completed re-registration applications for TPS must be mailed to the appropriate Service Center and postmarked on or before July 2, 2002. Applicants should not delay in mailing their re-registration applications. Re-registration is necessary even though INS published a notice in the Federal Register on May 3, 2002 extending the TPS Employment Authorization Document (EAD) validity period from July 5, 2002 to December 5, 2002. The automatic EAD extension is designed only to prevent gaps in employment authorization while re-registration applications are processed, but it does not relieve TPS beneficiaries of the responsibility to timely re-register for TPS benefits.

On May 1, 2002, INS announced a one-year extension of the designation of Honduras and Nicaragua for TPS until July 5, 2003. The TPS extension notice was published in the Federal Register on May 3, 2002. This extension of TPS covers an estimated 105,000 Hondurans and approximately 6,000 Nicaraguans who have already applied for TPS.

Hondurans and Nicaraguans currently registered under TPS who desire an extension must re-register by filing both the TPS application (Form I-821) and an application for employment authorization (Form I-765) with the appropriate INS Service Center. For re-registration, there is no fee for Form I-821. However, a $120 fee must accompany Form I-765 if an applicant requests employment authorization. If the applicant does not require employment authorization or already has employment authorization, Form I-765 is still required but no fee is necessary. Applicants for an extension of TPS benefits do not need to submit new fingerprints and therefore do not need to submit a $50 fee. However, children beneficiaries of TPS who have reached the age of fourteen but were not previously fingerprinted must pay the $50 fingerprint fee with the application for extension. These forms are available from the toll-free INS Forms line, 1-800-870-3676, and from the INS Web site, An applicant may request a waiver of TPS-related application fees in accordance with the regulations.

This extension does not allow Nicaraguans or Hondurans who entered the United States after December 30, 1998 to file for TPS. This extension covers only Nicaraguans and Hondurans who have been continually present in the United States as of January 5, 1999 and who have continually resided in the United States since December 30, 1998. An extension of TPS does not change the required dates of continuous physical presence and residence in the United States. Late registration is possible in limited circumstances.

TPS registrants who need to travel outside the United States during the coming year must receive advance parole from their local INS office prior to departing the United States. Failure to do so may jeopardize their ability to return to the United States. Advance parole allows an individual to travel abroad and return to the United States. Advance parole is issued on a case-by-case basis. Individuals who are granted TPS may apply for advance parole by filing Form I-131 at their local INS district office or with an INS Service Center.

- INS -