ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly


March 15, 2001


INS Establishes Procedures for Renewal
Of Employment Authorization for Certain CSS Class Members

WASHINGTON – The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has begun accepting applications for the renewal of employment authorization documents (EAD) from individuals previously granted employment authorization in the Catholic Social Services, Inc. v. Ashcroft case.

The renewal of the EADs of certain CSS class members was made in a settlement agreement between INS and CSS. INS estimates that there are approximately 50,000 class members, and that at least half of these individuals eligible for renewal reside in the Los Angeles area.

Who is eligible?

Any individual previously designated with a CS-1 classification is covered under the agreement. This agreement does not affect anyone who has not previously been granted employment authorization based on this designation.

How do I obtain the EAD application?

The EAD Application Form I-765 is available free of charge. The forms may be obtained by:

• Downloading them from the INS Web site,, or

• Calling the INS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

Where should I file my EAD application?

Eligible class members should submit their completed application to the INS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence. There is no fee for renewing an EAD under this program.

If you live in Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or the U.S. Virgin Islands, mail your application to:

Vermont Service Center
Attn: C22 I-765
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479

If you live in Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii or Nevada, mail your application to:

California Service Center
Attn: C22 I-765
P.O. Box 10765
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0765

If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee or Texas, mail your application to:

Texas Service Center
P.O. Box 851041
Mesquite, TX 75185-1041

If you live elsewhere in the United States, please mail your application to:

Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87698
Lincoln, NE 68501-7698

Individuals who have an urgent or important need for rapid issuance of an EAD may file and have their application at the local INS office having jurisdiction over their place of residence. Any individual residing in the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles District Office and having an urgent or important need for an EAD must file at the INS East Los Angeles Office located at 1241 S. Soto Street in Los Angeles.

– INS –

Share this page with a friend Share this page