ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Advanced search

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network


Chinese Immig. Daily


Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of free

Immigration LLC.

< Back to current issue of Immigration Daily < Back to current issue of Immigrant's Weekly


INS Fact Sheet

August 21, 2000

The Hmong Veterans’ Naturalization Act of 2000

The Hmong Veterans’ Naturalization Act of 2000, which became law on May 26, 2000, provides an exemption from the English language requirement and special consideration for civics testing for certain refugees from Laos applying for naturalization. This benefit is limited to no more than 45,000 eligible refugees from Laos who properly file a naturalization application (Form N-400) on or before November 26, 2001.

Who is Eligible?

The law, Public Law 106-207, applies to refugees from Laos who served with a special guerrilla unit, or irregular forces, operating from a base in Laos in support of the United States military at any time during February 28, 1961 through September 18, 1978. The law extends this benefit to the veteran’s spouse only if the spouse was married to the veteran on the day the veteran applied for admission into the United States as a refugee, and the spouse was also admitted into the United States as a refugee from Laos.

How Can Applicants Apply for this Benefit?

Eligible applicants–including those who currently have pending naturalization applications–can request this benefit at the time of their naturalization interview. There are no additional forms to be completed and no additional fee.

How Can Applicants Establish Eligibility?

At the time of their naturalization interview, applicants must establish with INS qualifying service with a special guerrilla unit or irregular forces. If an applicant testified to this military service at the time of refugee processing, the required documentation should already be in his immigration file. If not, applicants can bring to their INS interview either:

  • Original documents;
  • An affidavit of the serving person’s superior officer;
  • Two affidavits from other individuals who also were serving with such a special guerrilla unit, or irregular forces, and who personally knew of the person’s service; or
  • Other appropriate proof.

Although not required, it is helpful if applicants bring with them to their INS interview the family’s copy of the Voluntary Agency family history that was prepared during refugee processing.

What Is the Exemption from the English Language Requirement?

Eligible applicants will not need to demonstrate that they read, write and speak English. They will not be tested on their English language ability.

What is the "Special Consideration" for Civics Testing?

Eligible applicants will be given the modified civics test that is currently provided to elderly applicants who are over 65 years of age and have been living in the United States as permanent residents for periods totaling at least 20 years. They can take the test in the language of their choice and may bring a qualified interpreter to translate for them. [The list of 25 sample questions for elderly applicants is available in INS’ "Guide to Naturalization" (Form M-476) and on the INS website]

    INS —