Comment: AILA Election New Developments -
An apparently unprecedented situation has arisen in the AILA 2012 elections. Here is a brief chronology of events to set the stage for the discussion of this novel happening.
If this set of facts were present in an election for federal office (e.g. Congressman/woman or Senator), most political analysts would conclude that Mr. Joseph is the candidate more likely to win, since his entry caused the original nominee to quit, and since Ms. Padilla was nominated only on second try. However, AILA elections are not necessarily like federal elections (for example, there is no polling before the election, nor are vote totals for each candidate released even after the election). The results of this AILA election (less than two weeks away) will help delineate the extent to which AILA elections can be compared to federal elections. In the past decade or so, roughly half the candidates who won election to Secretary did so by nomination, and the other half by petition. So each candidate may be said to have a roughly equal chance, if one were handicapping based solely on historical data.
In early March, AILA's nominating committee announced a slate of nominees with one candidate nominated for each of the open positions for the Executive Committee and Director positions.
- In late March, a candidate for one of the Director positions, Jeff Joseph, withdrew his name. In consequence, AILA's nominating committee announced a revised slate for the Director positions.
- In early April, Jeff Joseph, who had withdrawn his name for Director, threw his hat into the ring for the Executive Committee position for Secretary, running by petition. When this happened, the candidate originally nominated to that position - Rusty De Moss, withdrew his name. The withdrawal of a nominated candidate for Secretary is apparently a novel situation (so much so that AILA's Board has proposed a By-law amendment in this connection). Subsequently, AILA's nominating committee nominated Annaluisa Padilla for the Secretary position, thus setting up the current contest between Mr. Joseph and Ms. Padilla.
One notable feature of AILA elections is that a much smaller number of members participates in them, as compared to most federal elections. The proportion of members voting has historically been about one quarter only, whereas roughly half of the electorate votes in federal elections. Immigration Daily has consistently encouraged AILA members to vote in contested elections over the years, and we do so this time also. The 2012 election page is here (for AILA members only).
Article: Statistics On Labor Certifications, L-1's And H-1B's by Alan Lee
Article: Company Forfeits $2 Million For Hiring Undocumented Workers by Bruce Buchanan
Article: Revisiting The Ghost Of I-9 And E-Verify Past by Ann Cun
Bloggings: First Circuit Holds DOMA Unconstitutional. What Next For Same-sex Marriage Green Cards? by Roger Algase
Bloggings: House Republican Introduces DREAM Act Alternative by Greg Siskind
Bloggings: Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly: Advance Parole no longer considered a "departure" under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II), by Danielle Beach-Oswald
News: EOIR Issues Language Access Plan
News: CIS Ombudsman Office Publishes Quarterly Report
News: DHS Releases Readout Of Secretary Napolitano's Remarks At The Migration Policy Institute
Focus: The Physician Immigration Book - Shipping Now
ILW.COM is pleased to announce The Physician Immigration Book edited by Robert Aronson. Contributors are: Mary Amundson, Robert Aronson, Lisa Atkins, Therese Bart, Janice Bianco, Ingrid Brey, Brian Bruner, Elise Bruner, Jacqueline Bucar, Lisa Claypool, Kristi Crawford, Karen Dean, Alex Dgebuadze, Robert Divine, Goldie Domingue, Maria Fritzinger Elias, Eleanor Fitzpatrick, Roberta Freedman, Kristen Harris, Wendy Hess, Dayna Kelly, Khorzad Mehta, Jennifer Minear, Bruce Morrison, George Newman, Elizabeth Neuwirth, Ana Pottratz Acosta, Karen Pollins, Jennell Prentice, Elizabeth Quinn, Michelle Scimecca, Suzanne Seltzer, Carl Shusterman, Greg Siskind, Rita Sostrin, Tim Skinner, Sarah Peterson Strensrud, Margaret Stock, Hamel Vyas, Tracy Wallowicz, David Ware, Nathan Waxman, Andrew Wizner and Robert Whitehill
The book outline is as follows:
THE PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE AND HEALTHCARE REALITIES
- Healthigration: Immigration Meets Healthcare Reform by Robert Aronson
THE J-1 EXCHANGE VISITOR PROGRAM: VIEWS FROM THE INSIDE AND THE OUTSIDE
- U.S. Physician Workforce Policy And The Role Of International Medical Graduates: Modest Proposals For A New Era by Kristen Harris
- Immigration Attorneys And In-House Recruiters: The Essential Connection by Tim Skinner and Jennell Prentice
- Rural Healthcare & Conrad 30 J-1 Waivers by Mary Amundson, and Therese Bart
STARTING THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS: THE ART OF THE CLIENT INTAKE PROCESS
- The Evolution Of The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program And The Foreign Residence Obligation: How They Developed To Control Employment In Graduate Medical Education By International Medical Graduates by Ingrid K. Brey
- ECFMG Role in Administering the J-1 Physician Program by Eleanor Fitzpatrick & Tracy Wallowicz
- J-1 Clinical Training For Physicians: Institutional Consideration & Concepts by Lisa E. Claypool and Hamel Vyas
- International Medical Graduates And The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program: Institutional Roles And Responsibilities by Janice Bianco
J-1 WAIVER STRATEGY AND PRACTICE FOR PHYSICIANS
- Physician Intake And Issue Spotting by Robert S. Whitehill
H-1B TEMPORARY WORKER CONSIDERATIONS AND STRATEGY FOR PHYSICIANS
- 50 Ways To 30 Waivers: The Conrad State 30 Program by Suzanne Seltzer
- Fundamentals And Relevance Of Underserved Designations by Robert D. Aronson
- Interested Government Agency (IGA) Clinical Waiver Programs by Goldie C. Domingue
- The New Veterans Health Administration - Again? by Michelle M. Eaton Scimecca
- J-1 Waivers Through the U.S. Department Of Health And Human Services (HHS) - Promoting Excellence And Impact In Biomedical Research by Elizabeth Quinn
ASSESSING ALL POSSIBILITIES: OTHER NONIMMIGRANT VISA OPTIONS FOR PHYSICIANS
- Brief Overview Of Physician's Use Of H-1B Visa Category by George S. Newman
- H-1B Visas For Physicians-In-Training: A Marathon Or An Obstacle Course? by Alexander Dgebuadze and Rita Sostrin
- Tracking The Intractable: H-1B Fulfillment Issues For International Medical Graduates by Khorzad Mehta
- A Look At Selected Cutting Edge Issues For H1-B International Medical Graduates by Andrew L. Wizner
- CSpouses Should Derive More H-1B Time Along With The Green Card Process by Robert Divine
- Who Calls The Shots: The Corporate Practice Of Medicine And Defining The Employer In H-1B Physician Cases by Jacqueline D. Bucar and Elizabeth M. Neuwirth
LONG TERM OPTIONS: PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND NATURALIZATION
- Alternative Non-Immigrant Visa Options For International Medical Graduates by Roberta Freedman and Lisa Atkins
- Canadian Physicians - Separate And Unequal by Carl Shusterman
- Threading The Needle: Counseling The International Medical Graduate On Options For Lawful Permanent Residence by Jennifer A. Minear
- Traversing The Permanent Residence Landscape For International Medical Graduates: A Comparative Analysis by Brian T. Bruner
- Take One Aspirin And A Zantac Before Proceeding: The Alien Labor Certification Process For Physicians by Wendy Castor Hess, Karen M. Pollins and Maria P. Fritzinger Elias
- "Establishing Business Necessity In Physician Labor Certification: Is It Ever A Necessity? by Dayna Kelly
- "The Special Handling Labor Certification In The Context Of Medical Schools by David Ware
- Obtaining The NIW Attestation Letter Of Support: Practical Guidance And Considerations by Elise Bruner
- Searching For The Five-Year Cure: Eligibility Issues Following Completion Of The Employment Obligation In NIW Cases by Robert Aronson and Ana Pottratz Acosta
- Twelve Years After: Six Post - NYSDOT Physician NIWs: 2010 Update by Nathan Waxman and Karen L. Dean
- Military Service As An Option For Foreign Health Care Professionals by Margaret D. Stock
DESIGNING A BETTER MOUSETRAP: SOME THOUGHTS ON LEGISLATIVE REFORM
- The Legacy Of Kutty: Does Kutty Change Who Is Responsible For Paying H-1B Attorney Fees? by Sarah Peterson Stensrud
For more info on The Physician Immigration Book and to order:
- The Legislative Horizon For Physician Immigration by Greg Siskind
- A Simpler Future For FMGs - The MD Visa by Bruce A. Morrison
By Fax: http://www.ilw.com/books/ThePhysicianImmigrationBook.pdf
Headline: Elizabeth Olivas, High School Salutatorian, Banned From Returning To The U.S. For Graduation Over Visa Technicality ow.ly/bhp3r
Headline:New Anti-Immigrant Law Sinks Alabama Into Deeper Morass ow.ly/bdmCD
Headline:RT @changeImmigrant: Almost-deported valedictorian Daniela Pelaez helps introduce immigration reform bill: awe.sm/5wAbJ
Headline: Coalition steps up fight against Alabama anti - immigrant law ow.ly/bhoL0
Headline:RT @vicriosfigueroa: MittRomney will have to address immigration problem, or he won't be president. goo.gl/KcEfd
Headline: Almost-deported valedictorian Daniela Pelaez helps introduce immigration reform bill ow.ly/bgJ4Y
Headline: RT @williamperezphd: Undocumented college students get support from tech titan p.ost.im/p/enCh8v
Headline:Just like us: Immigrants embrace 'distinctly American' values immigration ow.ly/bgIUo
Headline: Eleven Years Of Archives ow.ly/bhuuR immigration
Headline: In Alabama, an immigration law "works", also has unintended consequences. link.reuters.com/keg58s
Headline: Hundreds from across state protest immigration law ow.ly/bhhzg
Headline: Hispanic coalition: Obama ‘most anti-immigrant president’ in U.S. history immigration ow.ly/bgICh
Headline:Group seeks to define Obama as "worse than Joe Arpaio" on immigration ow.ly/bdmyX
Headline: not all undocumented folks are Mexican RT @ujohnnyg: U.S. Talks About Deporting Immigrants Deeper Inside Mexico bit.ly/LTWikx
Headline:Students Press for Action on Immigration ow.ly/bgIuC
Headline:Cultures & immigration beat: New Web tool helps citizens in training ow.ly/bf386
Headline:ilwcom Don't be left out… Get listed! Sign up for ILW.COM Attorney Yellow Pages at ow.ly/bfdT9
Headline:ilwcom With immigration case settled, RHP Oviedo says he’ll be ready to rejoin Marlins in late July ow.ly/bf30R
To submit an article or a news item to Immigration Daily, write to email@example.com. Follow ILW.COM on Twitter.
LatourLaw's Turnkey EB-5 Regional Center and Project Structuring. (2011 U.S. Private Equity Law Firm of the Year - UK's Finance Monthly). José E. Latour, former U.S. Consular Officer, 20 years A/V rated, limits his practice to assisting private and public entities in the design, structuring and market planning of new EB-5 Regional Centers and Projects. We provide your clients with reasonably-priced, full-spectrum EB-5 team support including immigration compliance structure, qualified securities counsel, proven EB-5 economist, industry-leading business/marketing plan writer and web site designer assuring your firm of smooth and profitable I-526 and I-829 processing. Please note: we do not file EB-5 investor petitions, we do not accept or pay referral or success fees. Please email in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Wanted: Immigration Paralegal
Washington, DC - Maggio + Kattar, PC, a nationally
recognized, DC-based immigration law firm, is seeking an experienced business immigration paralegal. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of PERM and NIV experience. Challenging work dealing with international clientele with career advancement possibilities. Excellent work environment, competitive salary and benefits. Please email resume + references to email@example.com or fax (202) 483-6801, Attn: Amal Talhame. No calls.
Help Wanted: Immigration Professional
Reston, VA - A prominent business immigration law firm is seeking an experienced immigration professional to research, write, edit, and post timely news, analysis, and articles to the firm's websites and e-newsletters on a daily basis. This position requires strong knowledge of immigration law, outstanding writing ability, and experience in effectively using website content management systems to publish content and seed keywords and metadata. Ideal candidates will be detail oriented, motivated, and possess sound judgment while working with minimal supervision. This position requires 1-3 hours of work daily (M-F), offers flexible hours, and is ideal for telecommuting. Interested parties should apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be kept strictly confidential.
Help Wanted: Immigration Attorney
Chicago, IL - Immigration Attorneys, LLP, a law firm practicing in all areas of immigration law, is seeking an experienced attorney to immediately join our practice in Chicago, IL. All candidates must be licensed and have 2+ years attorney experience with a diverse immigration caseload. The ideal candidate is multi-lingual, has handled immigration litigation matters, petitions and visa applications for families and businesses, and has some federal court experience.
Candidates must have exceptional research, writing and computer skills;
excellent organizational and time management skills; and, a commitment to
Salary offered will be commensurate with experience. Candidate will be
immediately eligible for benefits.
All applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com. Please
include a cover letter, resume, writing sample as well as references.
How do you market your firm's services? Find a better way with INSZoom's digital marketing solutions for immigration lawyers. Our web solutions have been trusted by immigration professionals for over a decade to deliver cost-effective ways to increase leads. Start now in 6 easy steps: (1) Choose from over 100 customizable website templates that can include your logo as well as custom images and content; (2) Select from a range of syndicated content, including 60-70 pages of professionally written immigration content, weekly news articles, processing dates and priority times, all automatically posted to your site; (3) Use our simple, yet powerful content management tool to update your site in real time; (4) Sign up for our Search Engine Optimization services to improve your site's standing in major search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing; (5) Use our biweekly newsletters and email blast tools to maintain constant contact with your client and prospect bases; and (6) Implement customizable intake sheets on your site that directly integrate with your case management solution. Powerful lead generation tools at a reasonable cost - INSZoom website services. Contact us at (925) 244-0600 or Sales@INSZoom.com to get started today! Learn more online at http://www1.inszoom.com/ads/ILW-Classified-Websites-landingpage/home.html
To place a classifieds ad in Immigration Daily, see here
Letters of the Week: T V Krishnamurthy, Joe Whalen, Margaret Makar, Ofelia H. Robaina, Lynn Atherton-Bloxham, Kenneth Rinzler(3), Debra Venable Shears(2), Vonne Gulak
ComingsNGoings: Immigration Event
Teleconference - June 19 - Ombudsman's Office and Customs and Border Protection is pleased to invite all interested individuals to participate in "Controlling Documents and Travel for Foreign Nationals" teleconference. A representative from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will share information about how foreign nationals can best prepare for travel abroad and what to expect upon return to the United States including details about primary and secondary processing, the traveler's rights and responsibilities, and which documents control one's status. To RSVP please visit https://apps.cbp.gov/te_registration/?w=78
Readers can share professional announcements (up to 100-words at no charge), email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Important disclaimer! The information provided on this page is not legal advice. Transmission of this information is not intended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Readers must not act upon any information without first seeking advice from a qualified attorney. Copyright 1995-2012 American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM. Send correspondence and articles to email@example.com. Letters and articles may be edited and may be published and otherwise used in any medium. The views expressed in letters and articles do not necessarily represent the views of ILW.COM.