Comment: Voluntary Until You Disagree - States like New York, Massachusetts and Illinois withdrew from their voluntary participation in the Secure Communities program citing serious problems with the program. In response, ICE announced that it does not need the consent of any state to impose the program on the state. ICE has rescinded all Memoranda of Agreements it signed with 39 states declaring the agreements as unnecessary, and announced that it will implement the program in all jurisdictions by 2013. The Boston Globe blog offers a critique of this development. Please use our letters section to make your views heard or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article: Back To The "Basics": Who Is The Employer For I-9 Purposes? by Nici Kersey
Bloggings: Honor, Dignity, Justice by Greg Siskind
Bloggings: End the Tyranny of Immigration Insubordination by Angelo Paparelli
News: DOS Warns Of Scammers Sending Fraudulent Diversity Visa Emails and Letters
News: CBP Issues New Cards for Global Entry Members
Focus: The Physician Immigration Book
ILW.COM is pleased to announce The Physician Immigration Book edited by Robert Aronson. Contributors are: Mary Amundson, Robert Aronson, Lisa Atkins, Therese Bart, Janice Bianco, Ingrid Brey, Brian Bruner, Elise Bruner, Jacqueline Bucar, Lisa Claypool, Kristi Crawford, Karen Dean, Alex Dgebuadze, Robert Divine, Goldie Domingue, Maria Fritzinger Elias, Eleanor Fitzpatrick, Roberta Freedman, Kristen Harris, Wendy Hess, Dayna Kelly, Khorzad Mehta, Jennifer Minear, Bruce Morrison, George Newman, Elizabeth Neuwirth, Ana Pottratz Acosta, Karen Pollins, Jennell Prentice, Elizabeth Quinn, Michelle Scimecca, Suzanne Seltzer, Carl Shusterman, Greg Siskind, Rita Sostrin, Tim Skinner, Sarah Peterson Strensrud, Margaret Stock, Hamel Vyas, Tracy Wallowicz, David Ware, Nathan Waxman, Andrew Wizner and Robert Whitehill
The book outline is as follows:
THE PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE AND HEALTHCARE REALITIES
- Healthigration: Immigration Meets Healthcare Reform by Robert Aronson
THE J-1 EXCHANGE VISITOR PROGRAM: VIEWS FROM THE INSIDE AND THE OUTSIDE
- U.S. Physician Workforce Policy And The Role Of International Medical Graduates: Modest Proposals For A New Era by Kristen Harris
- Immigration Attorneys And In-House Recruiters: The Essential Connection by Tim Skinner and Jennell Prentice
- Rural Healthcare & Conrad 30 J-1 Waivers by Mary Amundson, and Therese Bart
STARTING THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS: THE ART OF THE CLIENT INTAKE PROCESS
- The Evolution Of The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program And The Foreign Residence Obligation: How They Developed To Control Employment In Graduate Medical Education By International Medical Graduates by Ingrid K. Brey
- ECFMG Role in Administering the J-1 Physician Program by Eleanor Fitzpatrick & Tracy Wallowicz
- J-1 Clinical Training For Physicians: Institutional Consideration & Concepts by Lisa E. Claypool and Hamel Vyas
- International Medical Graduates And The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program: Institutional Roles And Responsibilities by Janice Bianco
J-1 WAIVER STRATEGY AND PRACTICE FOR PHYSICIANS
- Physician Intake And Issue Spotting by Robert S. Whitehill
H-1B TEMPORARY WORKER CONSIDERATIONS AND STRATEGY FOR PHYSICIANS
- 50 Ways To 30 Waivers: The Conrad State 30 Program by Suzanne Seltzer
- Fundamentals And Relevance Of Underserved Designations by Robert D. Aronson
- Interested Government Agency (IGA) Clinical Waiver Programs by Goldie C. Domingue
- The New Veterans Health Administration - Again? by Michelle M. Eaton Scimecca
- J-1 Waivers Through the U.S. Department Of Health And Human Services (HHS) - Promoting Excellence And Impact In Biomedical Research by Elizabeth Quinn
ASSESSING ALL POSSIBILITIES: OTHER NONIMMIGRANT VISA OPTIONS FOR PHYSICIANS
- Brief Overview Of Physician's Use Of H-1B Visa Category by George S. Newman
- H-1B Visas For Physicians-In-Training: A Marathon Or An Obstacle Course? by Alexander Dgebuadze and Rita Sostrin
- Tracking The Intractable: H-1B Fulfillment Issues For International Medical Graduates by Khorzad Mehta
- A Look At Selected Cutting Edge Issues For H1-B International Medical Graduates by Andrew L. Wizner
- CSpouses Should Derive More H-1B Time Along With The Green Card Process by Robert Divine
- Who Calls The Shots: The Corporate Practice Of Medicine And Defining The Employer In H-1B Physician Cases by Jacqueline D. Bucar and Elizabeth M. Neuwirth
LONG TERM OPTIONS: PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND NATURALIZATION
- Alternative Non-Immigrant Visa Options For International Medical Graduates by Roberta Freedman and Lisa Atkins
- Canadian Physicians - Separate And Unequal by Carl Shusterman
- Threading The Needle: Counseling The International Medical Graduate On Options For Lawful Permanent Residence by Jennifer A. Minear
- Traversing The Permanent Residence Landscape For International Medical Graduates: A Comparative Analysis by Brian T. Bruner
- Take One Aspirin And A Zantac Before Proceeding: The Alien Labor Certification Process For Physicians by Wendy Castor Hess, Karen M. Pollins and Maria P. Fritzinger Elias
- "Establishing Business Necessity In Physician Labor Certification: Is It Ever A Necessity? by Dayna Kelly
- "The Special Handling Labor Certification In The Context Of Medical Schools by David Ware
- Obtaining The NIW Attestation Letter Of Support: Practical Guidance And Considerations by Elise Bruner
- Searching For The Five-Year Cure: Eligibility Issues Following Completion Of The Employment Obligation In NIW Cases by Robert Aronson and Ana Pottratz Acosta
- Twelve Years After: Six Post - NYSDOT Physician NIWs: 2010 Update by Nathan Waxman and Karen L. Dean
- Military Service As An Option For Foreign Health Care Professionals by Margaret D. Stock
DESIGNING A BETTER MOUSETRAP: SOME THOUGHTS ON LEGISLATIVE REFORM
- The Legacy Of Kutty: Does Kutty Change Who Is Responsible For Paying H-1B Attorney Fees? by Sarah Peterson Stensrud
For more info on The Physician Immigration Book and to order:
- The Legislative Horizon For Physician Immigration by Greg Siskind
- A Simpler Future For FMGs - The MD Visa by Bruce A. Morrison
By Fax: http://www.ilw.com/books/ThePhysicianImmigrationBook.pdf
Headline: gay married couple loses immigration battle http://ow.ly/5YI9d
Headline: Are Democrats Turning Against the DREAMAct? http://ow.ly/5YHQc
Headline: In Senate Subcommittee Testimony, Skorton Urges Immigration Reform http://ow.ly/5XO7q
Headline: Strict Immigration Laws 'Save Denmark Billions' http://ow.ly/5XO3N
Headline: RT @agleader: Farmers angle for guest worker program amid immigration debate http://ow.ly/5XMh9
Headline: you can share professional announcements, free events or more (up to 100-words at no charge), email: email@example.com
Headline: United States invigorates foreign entrepreneur immigration http://ow.ly/5XNYn
Headline: RT @Fi2W: Korean Immigrant Housekeeper Says Buddhist Monk Enslaved Her in NY Home: http://ht.ly/5XyOi
Headline: Age, language are key to better outcomes for immigrants http://ow.ly/5XNzE
Headline: secure communities should not be mandatory. It shouldn't even exist.
Headline: Analysis and Comments, ETA forms, Memos, Roadmaps & Checklists. Get your copy http://ow.ly/5XLjE
Headline: a book about immigrants by an immigrant & how becoming an American has changed. get it now! http://ow.ly/5XIWa
To submit an article or a news item to Immigration Daily, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow ILW.COM on Twitter.
Help Wanted: Immigration Paralegal
Atlanta, GA - Siskind Susser, P.C. seeks serious and qualified applicants for a demanding and rewarding Paralegal position for predominantly family cases. This is a wonderful working environment for someone who enjoys a professional, yet friendly atmosphere. Position is available immediately. Prepare I-130, I-485, I-751, N-400, I-601 waivers and consular processing packages; Answer phones and converse with clients and potential clients regarding immigration matters; scanning, filing and copying. REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree plus 2 years family-based Immigration Paralegal experience; Computer experience (Word/Excel/Outlook/Internet/Adobe); Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail a must; Exceptional research, verbal and writing skills; Ability to work independently and manage large caseload. Spanish language fluency strongly desired. No relocation assistance. No attorneys /J.D.'s please. Please e-mail resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Help Wanted: Immigration Professional
Austin, TX - Paul Parsons, P.C. seeks a bilingual legal assistant. Requirements: Bilingual in Spanish/English with two years family-based immigration experience, excellent research and writing skills, keen attention to detail. Must be able to meet deadlines and multitask; a quick learner, and a non-smoker. Employment-based immigration experience a plus. We are an equal opportunity employer. Competitive salaries and benefits. Please email resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
Help Wanted: Immigration Professional
Washington, DC - Immigration law firm in the K Street area of downtown Washington seeks legal assistant. Ideal candidate will have 2-3 years experience in business/family immigration law, with an emphasis on AOS, H1B, L1 and PERM filings. Interesting work and clientele; no timesheets; latest technology; competitive salary and benefits (401K w/ employer match, health insurance, paid vacation, etc). Successful applicants will have broad knowledge of immigration law and procedures; be detail-oriented; able to handle volume; highly organized and strong communicators. Please email resume, cover letter, writing sample and salary requirements, in confidence, to email@example.com. No calls please. EOE.
Immigration Law Certificate
Classes offered both online and in-person. Master the complex and ever changing maze of immigration policies and regulations with the Immigration Law Studies Certificate Program offered by CUNY's School of Professional Studies. This graduate-level certificate program, consisting of (3) three-credit classes, offers students who complete it a comprehensive understanding of the laws, regulations, and processes surrounding the status of immigrants in the US, including family and employment-based immigration and deportation defense. It is designed for individuals working in law firms, companies, government agencies and nonprofit organizations where they interact with immigrants and immigrant legal concerns on a regular basis and would therefore benefit from greater knowledge of the laws and regulations surrounding immigration. For more information on class schedules, tuition and fees, course applications and to register, see here.
To place a classifieds ad in Immigration Daily, see here
Letters of the Week By MGTRR, Diane S, Howard Hudson, Bob, Honza Prchal, Don Miller and Manuel Martinez
ComingsNGoings: Immigration Events Multiple dates in August - The DHS invites stakeholders to a series of webinars on E-Verify to be held throughout August. See http://ow.ly/5YP0n for registration details.
Readers can share professional announcements (up to 100-words at no charge), email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Important disclaimer! The information provided on this page is not legal advice. Transmission of this information is not intended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Readers must not act upon any information without first seeking advice from a qualified attorney. Copyright 1995-2010 American Immigration LLC, ILW.COM. Send correspondence and articles to email@example.com. Letters and articles may be edited and may be published and otherwise used in any medium. The views expressed in letters and articles do not necessarily represent the views of ILW.COM.