Alex Nowrasteh just wrote an article that appeared in Forbes Magazine appropriately titled Obama: Deporter in Chief. In it he provides some jaw dropping statistics to support his conclusion, many of which have been printed over the past year in this blog:
- Since taking office President Obama has expanded SCOMM to over 3,000 jurisdictions in the United States, a 21,429% increase in jurisdictional reach.
- In 3.5 years President Obama has deported more people than during the first six and a half years of George W. Bush’s administration.
- The backlog for pending deportation cases has risen to a record 314,147 this June.
- The “Morton Memo” only resulted in the favorable exercise of prosecutorial discretion in a mere 5684 cases (1.9% of all cases reviewed).
- Obama has increased remote worksite audits, and silent raids, as well as increasing fines and arrests for business owners violating immigration employment regulations.
Click here to read the full article. It is worth your time.
Matthew Kolken is a trial lawyer with experience in all aspects of United States Immigration Law including Immigration Courts throughout the United States, and appellate practice before the Board of Immigration Appeals, the U.S. District Courts, and U.S. Courts of Appeals. He is admitted to practice in the courts of the State of New York , the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).